Viruddha Ahara / Bad Food Combinations (food incompatibility) and Ayurveda Part 2
Types of Viruddha Ahara / Bad Food Combinations (food incompatibility)
Ayurveda mentioned 18 types of Incompatibilities for Food as below –
- Desha Viruddha Ahara (Place incompatible diet)
- Kala Viruddha Ahara (Time contradictory diet)
- Agni Viruddha Ahara (Digestive power incompatible diet)
- Matra Viruddha Ahara (Dose specific diet contradiction)
- Satmya Viruddha Ahara (Habit specific diet incompatibility)
- Dosha Viruddha Ahara (Dosha specific diet contradiction)
- Samskara Viruddha Ahara (Food processing incompatibility)
- Veerya Viruddha Ahara (Potency specific diet contradiction)
- Koshta Viruddha Ahara (Bowel specific diet contradiction)
- Avastha Viruddha Ahara (Stage specific contradiction)
- Krama Viruddha Ahara (Order specific contradiction)
- Parihara Viruddha Ahara (Prescription specific contradiction)
- Upachara Viruddha Ahara (Treatment specific contradiction)
- Paka Viruddha Ahara (Cooking contradiction)
- Samyoga Viruddha Ahara (Incompatible in Combination)
- Hrudaya Viruddha Ahara (Incompatible in Palatability)
- Sampat Viruddha Ahara (Incompatible in Richness of quality)
- Vidhi Viruddha Ahara (Contradictory in Rules of eating)
- Desha Viruddha Ahara – Place incompatible diet – Intake of dry like roasted Chana and strong substances such as strong wine, in Deserts; Liquid oily and cold Diet substances in marshy land is place incompatible diet habit. Because, in deserts, it causes extreme increase of Vata and Pitta and in marshy land, it causes extreme increase of Kapha Dosha.
- Kala Viruddha Ahara – Time contradictory diet – Intake of cold and dry substances in winter; pungent and hot substance in the summer.
- Agni Viruddha Ahara – Digestive power incompatible diet – Intake of heavy (heavy to digest) food items when the power of digestion is low (Agnimandya); intake of light food when the power of digestion is very high (Teekshnagni).
- Matra Viruddha Ahara – Dose specific diet contradiction – Intake of honey and ghee in equal quantities mentioned as poisonous in Ayurveda
- Satmya Viruddha Ahara – Habit specific diet incompatibility – Intake of sweet and cold substance by persons accustomed to pungent and hot substances. One should eat food items which are suitable him/her since childhood or since many years.
- Dosha Viruddha Ahara – Dosha specific diet contradiction- Constant intake of dietary items and regimen having similar qualities with Doshas will increase same dosha to produce disease. Like taking milk ( increases Kapha Dosha )( long term consumption- i.e. Abhyas) will help cold or sinus problems
- Samskara Viruddha Ahara – Food processing incompatibility – Method of preparation Food which when prepared in a particular way produce poisonous effects, for example, meat of peacock roasted on a castor spit, heating of honey becomes harmful etc.
- Veerya Viruddha Ahara – Potency specific diet contradiction- Substances having cold potency in combination with those of hot potency.
- Koshta Viruddha Ahara – Bowel specific diet contradiction –Administration of a mild purgative food or drug in a small dose for a person of with hard bowel (Krura Koshta) and administration of strong purgative food for a person with soft bowel (Mrudu Koshta)
- Avastha Viruddha Ahara –Stage specific contradiction: Taking Vata aggravating diet after physical stress, sexual intercourse, exercise etc. Kapha aggravating diet by a lethargic, sleepy person.
- Krama Viruddha Ahara – Order specific contradiction – If a person takes food before his bowel and urinary bladder are clear (empty) or when he does not have appetite or after his hunger has been highly aggravated. Taking Madhura (Sweet)Rasa food at the end of meals and Tikta and Katu (Spicy)Rasa food substances at the starting of meals.
- Parihara Viruddha Ahara –Prescription specific contradiction – Intake of hot things after taking pork.
- Upachara Viruddha Ahara – Treatment specific contradiction – Taking cold things after taking ghee, consuming cold water immediately after having hot tea or coffee.
- Paka Viruddha Ahara – Cooking contradiction – Preparation of food with bad or rotten fuel, under-cooking, over-cooking or burning during the process of preparation.
- Samyoga Viruddha Ahara – Incompatible in Combination – Intake of sour substance with milk, fruit salad, or milk + banana etc.
- Hrudaya Viruddha Ahara – Incompatible in Palatability – Any substance which is not pleasant in taste.
- Sampat Viruddha Ahara – Incompatible in Richness of quality – Intake of substance that are not mature, over-mature or purified.
- Vidhi Viruddha Ahara – Incompatible in Rules of eating – Taking meals in public.
– वैद्य आनंद कुलकर्णी M.D. (Med. Ayu),
CYEd, DYA, MA (Sanskrit)
अमृता आयुर्वेद पंचकर्म सेंटर, नागेश टॉवर, हरिनिवास, ठाणे प. मो. 9869105594
For more ………
Old articles about vegetables and fruits etc available
please see the articles on www.amrutaayurved.in /articles
For Consultation with Expert Doctor of Amruta Ayurved Panchakarma Center
Contact – 9869105594
For more informative articles and details, please see the articles on www.amrutaayurved.in
All Type of Ayurveda treatments, Panchakarma are available at Amruta Ayurved Panchkarma Center, Thane, Mumbai, India. Mob – 9869105594
For more informative Ayurveda articles –